Monday, May 25, 2026
"If the U.S. and Iran Reach an Agreement, Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Will Return to Prewar Levels Within 30 Days"

Regarding the signing of a memorandum of understanding that would serve as a draft framework for ending the conflict between the United States and Iran, Iran's semi-official Tasnim News Agency said traffic through the Strait of Hormuz would return to prewar levels, but Iran would retain control over passage through the waterway. Tasnim, which reflects the position of Iranian authorities, made the claim while saying it had obtained a draft of a 'provisional agreement' between the United States and Iran. It added, "Western media report that if this interim deal is reached, conditions in the Strait of Hormuz will return to prewar levels within 30 days, but that is not true." It explained, "It means the number of ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz will be restored to prewar levels within 30 days." The agency added, "Iran is emphasizing that it will exercise sovereignty over the strait in various ways, and specific details will be announced later." It did not mention the 'transit fee' for the Strait of Hormuz that Iran had previously claimed. ■ Iran Says It Will Manage the Strait of Hormuz Iran once again stressed that it intends to continue managing the Strait of Hormuz. Tasnim News Agency also said, "The United States' maritime blockade must also be fully lifted within 30 days, otherwise there will be no change in the situation in the Strait of Hormuz." It added, "Any changes related to passage through the strait depend on whether the United States fulfills its other obligations under the memorandum of understanding." That means Iran could block the strait again if the United States fails to honor the terms of the MOU. The outlet warned, "Although there are signs that Iran and the United States may sign a memorandum of understanding, Iran is also preparing for the possibility that talks could fail at this stage." It added, "Regardless of the state of negotiations, the Iranian military is always maintaining full readiness." Along with control over the Strait of Hormuz, Iran also emphasized a clause calling for an end to hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon. Tasnim News Agency said the interim agreement also includes a provision to end fighting on all fronts, including Lebanon, and stressed that Israel must also stop attacks on Hezbollah in Lebanon under that clause. ■ Nuclear Issues to Be Discussed During a 60-Day Ceasefire Period Iran has demanded an end to hostilities on all fronts as a key precondition for resuming ceasefire talks. Tasnim News Agency reported, "After hostilities end on all fronts, 30 days will be given to implement measures related to the maritime blockade and the Strait of Hormuz, and at the same time a 60-day period will be set for negotiations on the nuclear issue." It also claimed that no agreement has yet been reached on the nuclear issue. Tasnim News Agency stressed, "At this stage, Iran has not accepted any measures related to the nuclear field." It said the key issues surrounding the nuclear program, including dilution or overseas removal of uranium enriched to 60%, and limits on uranium enrichment, would be negotiated after hostilities end. It was again underscoring the principle of 'ceasefire first, nuclear talks later.' Iran has consistently maintained that position. According to the outlet, the deal would also suspend U.S. sanctions on Iran's oil and petrochemical exports during the negotiation period and include the partial release of Iran's frozen overseas funds as the first step in implementing the interim agreement. Citing a source, Tasnim News Agency reported, "In recent weeks, the United States had tried to link the release of frozen funds to a future nuclear agreement, but Iran has insisted that at least some of the funds must be released immediately after the interim deal is announced." It added, "Iran emphasized that if the United States once again blocks the release of frozen funds, it will reconsider future negotiations." pjw@fnnews.com Park Jong-won Reporter