Outline of U.S.-Iran peace draft emerges: "60-day ceasefire extension, opening of the Strait of Hormuz"
- Input
- 2026-05-24 18:05:42
- Updated
- 2026-05-24 18:05:42
On the 23rd local time, U.S. President Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social that a peace agreement with the Islamic Republic of Iran would be "announced soon." He claimed that "the deal is largely negotiated, and only final confirmation remains." In a phone call with CBS on the same day, President Trump said the chances of reaching a deal with the Islamic Republic of Iran or resuming airstrikes were a "solid 50-50," adding that he would decide by Sunday the 24th whether to restart strikes against the Islamic Republic of Iran. He also said he had discussed "all matters related to the Islamic Republic of Iran and the 'peace memorandum of understanding (MOU)'" with Middle East leaders from eight countries, including Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
Earlier that day, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, "We may announce something later today, tomorrow, or in a few days." Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who mediated the first round of peace talks between the two sides last month, said on X on the 24th that he wanted to host the talks again. He said, "I hope we can host the next round of (peace) talks between the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran soon."
In this regard, the U.S. political outlet Axios said on the 23rd that it had obtained a draft MOU between the two sides, claiming that it included a 60-day extension of the ceasefire, the opening of the Strait of Hormuz, and the removal of nuclear materials. The two sides are said to have agreed to negotiate specific details, such as how nuclear materials will be handled, at a later date. Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency referred to the MOU draft on the 24th and reported, "According to the agreement, if negotiations with the United States are finalized, the United States and its allies promise not to attack Iran or its allies in any way." It added, "The Islamic Republic of Iran also promises that it and its allies will not carry out preemptive military attacks against the United States and its allies."
However, Fars News Agency drew a line on passage through the Strait of Hormuz, saying, "Iran has agreed to restore the number of transiting vessels to prewar levels, but this by no means means 'free navigation' at prewar levels." At the same time, it stressed that "management of the strait, shipping lanes, transit times and methods, and the authority to issue permits will remain under the exclusive authority of the Islamic Republic of Iran."
Meanwhile, President Trump continued his war of nerves with the Islamic Republic of Iran on the 23rd by posting on Truth Social a map of several Middle Eastern countries with the Stars and Stripes placed over the Islamic Republic of Iran, along with the caption, "America in the Middle East?"
pjw@fnnews.com Park Jong-won Reporter