Monday, May 25, 2026

Dozens of Shots Fired Again 200 Meters from the White House... Trump Security on High Alert

Input
2026-05-24 18:01:26
Updated
2026-05-24 18:01:26
Secret Service agents inspect the scene after the shooting. On the 23rd (local time), agents from the United States Secret Service were investigating the site of a shooting near the White House in Washington, D.C. AP Newsis
Gunfire rang out near the White House again in the United States, just a month after a shooting that targeted White House officials, including the president. The 21-year-old suspect, who was believed to have mental health issues, was shot dead at the scene. U.S. President Donald Trump was working at the White House at the time.
■Gunfire near the White House, suspect killed
The United States Secret Service (USSS) said in a statement on X on the 23rd (local time) that "shortly after 6 p.m., a person pulled a weapon from a bag and began firing at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue." The USSS added, "We returned fire and struck the suspect. He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead."
The USSS said one bystander was shot during the incident. The bystander was taken to a nearby hospital and was reported to be in critical condition. No USSS agents were injured. The intersection where the shooting occurred is right next to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building inside the White House complex. It is about 200 meters in a straight line from the main White House building. Fox News reported that the gunman fired three rounds from a handgun toward the White House, and that USSS agents subdued him with return fire. Immediately after the incident, the USSS hurried reporters on the North Lawn into the White House briefing room and temporarily locked down the area around the White House. Local outlet NewsNation reported that 25 to 30 consecutive gunshots were heard at the time.
■Another shooting a month later raises concerns over Trump's safety
According to CNN, the dead suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasir Best from Maryland. Best had clashed with the USSS at least twice before. He was arrested around June last year for blocking the White House driveway. At the time, he claimed to be "God" and was reportedly held at the Washington Psychiatric Institute for a mental evaluation. He was arrested again around July that year after trying to enter the White House complex driveway, and was later barred from entering the White House grounds.
Investigators said he had repeatedly posted on social media that he was the "real Osama bin Laden." He also posted at least one message suggesting that he wanted to harm Trump.
Trump had originally planned to stay in New Jersey for the Memorial Day holiday, but canceled the trip and remained at the White House to discuss issues including negotiations with Iran. White House Communications Director Steven Cheung wrote on X that "at 8 p.m., the president is working" and added, "He cannot be stopped, and he will not stop."
Trump wrote on Truth Social that he was "grateful to the USSS and law enforcement for their swift and professional response to the armed man near the White House this evening." He added, "This incident comes about a month after the shooting at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner. It shows how important it is for every future president to build the safest possible space in Washington, D.C. National security demands it."
Security concerns are rising locally ahead of major outdoor events. On the 25th of last month, a shooting took place at the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner at the Hilton Hotels & Resorts in Washington, D.C. Another shooting occurred on the 4th of this month near the Washington Monument south of the White House. The gunman was arrested after a confrontation with the Secret Service, and investigators said that during transport to the hospital he shouted, "Fuck the White House."
pjw@fnnews.com Park Jong-won Reporter