Court Says Jeon Kwang-hoon’s Bail Could Be Reconsidered if Travel Ban Is Lifted
- Input
- 2026-05-22 17:52:29
- Updated
- 2026-05-22 17:52:29

The Seoul Western District Court Criminal Single-Judge Division 1, presided over by Judge Park Ji-won, held the third hearing in Jeon’s case on charges including instigating trespass into a restricted structure on the afternoon of the 22nd and questioned witnesses.
Before the hearing, Jeon told reporters that he was continuing with his plan to visit the United States, saying, "If I meet Paula Weiss, who helped make Trump who he is, I can automatically meet Trump."
Prosecutors argued, "The defendant has already filed a lawsuit seeking to cancel the current travel ban. If he leaves the country, that would clearly violate the bail condition restricting his residence."
They also said Jeon has continued public activities, including attending rallies, after being released on bail, undermining the purpose of the court’s decision. They asked the court to consider adding restrictions on attending protests or strengthening the residence restriction if similar conduct is repeated.
Jeon’s side countered that filing a lawsuit to cancel the travel ban is an exercise of the right to seek judicial relief and cannot be treated as a violation of bail conditions. The defense also said the existing conditions are sufficient to prevent contact with related parties or the destruction of evidence, and that Jeon is complying with the terms of his release.
Judge Park said, "The bail decision was made on the premise that the defendant could not go abroad because of the travel ban," adding, "If the travel ban is suspended, we can reconsider whether there is a risk of flight."
The hearing also included witness testimony from Lee, whose surname was withheld, who was convicted of taking part in the Seoul Western District Court riot. Lee was sentenced to one year and six months in prison for entering the court grounds during the riot and pushing a police officer, among other charges.
Lee testified that he went to the court after reading posts on online communities such as DC Inside. He said he had seen Jeon at a rally in Gwanghwamun Square, but stated that he did not hear Jeon speak at the rally in front of the Seoul Western District Court.
During cross-examination by Jeon’s side, Lee also testified that he had never met Jeon in person, exchanged phone calls or text messages with him, or received any instructions from him to enter the court or confront police.
Jeon was indicted for allegedly inciting supporters to storm the Seoul Western District Court in the early morning of Jan. 19 last year, shortly after former President Yoon was taken into custody, damaging property and assaulting police officers. On the 7th of last month, the court granted Jeon’s bail request, citing his status as a public figure, the low risk of flight, the fact that overseas escape could be prevented through a travel ban, and the need to guarantee the defendant’s right to defense.
The next hearing is scheduled for July 10.
425_sama@fnnews.com Choi Seung-han Reporter