Friday, May 22, 2026

Rubio Says There Are "Positive Signs" as the United States and Iran Make Last-Minute Adjustments

Input
2026-05-22 03:31:10
Updated
2026-05-22 03:31:10
[New York = Lee Byung-chul, The Financial News] The nuclear and ceasefire talks between the United States and Iran appear to be reaching another critical turning point. Washington is pressing Tehran to dismantle its nuclear facilities and remove highly enriched uranium from the country, while Iran is demanding sanctions relief and guarantees over control of the Strait of Hormuz. Still, both sides have referred to "positive signs," and last-minute negotiations are continuing in an effort to prevent a renewed full-scale war in the Middle East.
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on the 21st that there were "good signs" in the talks between the United States and Iran.
Rubio said there had been "some progress," but added that "the Iranian regime itself is somewhat divided." He also said he expected further progress in the talks, noting that a Pakistani mediation team appeared likely to head to Tehran that day.
Pakistan is now effectively leading the nuclear and ceasefire talks between the United States and Iran. Pakistan Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi met with Seyed Abbas Araghchi, Iran's Minister of Foreign Affairs, on the same day. Naqvi is known as a close aide to Asim Munir, the Chief of the Army Staff of Pakistan, who is spearheading the mediation effort.
Iran's semi-official ISNA News Agency also said the latest U.S. proposal had "narrowed some gaps." However, it argued that "the United States must overcome its temptation for war in order to resolve the remaining differences."
The United States is currently demanding that Iran halt uranium enrichment for 20 years and send abroad its near-weapons-grade enriched uranium. It is also insisting on the dismantling of three nuclear sites: Natanz, Fordow, and Isfahan.
President Donald Trump said on the day that "the United States will eventually secure 440 kilograms of highly enriched uranium from Iran." He added, "We do not want it, and we do not need it. It will likely be destroyed after it is secured, but we will not allow Iran to keep it."
Iran, meanwhile, maintains that as a member of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT), it has the right to enrich uranium. It has also reaffirmed its position that it will not transfer highly enriched uranium overseas.
Markets are worried that if the talks fail, U.S. and Israeli airstrikes on Iran could resume. President Trump had previously disclosed that he had put off a planned additional strike on the 19th, but on the 21st he warned again that "if Iran does not agree, we could launch much stronger attacks."
\r\n
\r\n
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio. Photo = Yonhap News Agency
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
pride@fnnews.com Reporter Lee Byung-chul Reporter