Wednesday, May 20, 2026

"Sorry, but There's Nothing We Can Do"... Ahn Sung-jae's Restaurant 'Mosu' Faces Controversy Over 70 Million Won Valet Parking Accident

Input
2026-05-20 05:50:24
Updated
2026-05-20 05:50:24
Chef Ahn Sung-jae. Newsis

[The Financial News] Mosu Seoul, the fine-dining restaurant run by chef Ahn Sung-jae, who rose to mainstream popularity through Netflix's entertainment show Culinary Class Wars, has once again come under fire. After recently weathering controversy over a wine swap, the restaurant is now facing criticism for failing to properly compensate a customer for six months after an accident involving valet parking.
According to TV Chosun on the 20th, the accident occurred on December 4 last year in an alley near Mosu Seoul, the restaurant operated by Ahn Sung-jae.
At the time, a valet driver operating the vehicle of customer A slipped on a snow-covered downhill road, crashed into a wall, and the car came to a stop only after spinning half a turn. Mosu Seoul does not have a separate parking lot, so customers who arrive by car are effectively required to use valet parking.
Right after the accident, a Mosu representative promised A a smooth resolution. The valet parking company then paid 20 million won to a repair shop as an initial repair cost, and the matter appeared to be settling down.
However, an unexpected problem arose during the repair process. The final repair estimate for the vehicle jumped to 70 million won, complicating the situation. As the repair costs soared, a dispute began over who should bear responsibility for compensation.
Even though three months have passed since the car repairs were completed, the additional repair costs have not been paid, leaving victim A unable to get the car back for nearly six months.
Mosu's response during the process also fueled the controversy. A Mosu Seoul representative was reported to have told A, "We are very sorry as a company, but it seems there is nothing we can do," and, "At this point, I think the best option is to file a legal complaint against Mosu."
Victim A expressed deep disappointment and bewilderment at the restaurant's attitude, saying, "I entrusted my car to a restaurant called Mosu, not to the valet parking company."
Mosu told TV Chosun, "As a matter of principle, we believe the valet parking company should bear responsibility for the accident," but added, "We will continue to work until the end with the valet parking company so that the customer can receive reasonable compensation."


moon@fnnews.com Moon Young-jin Reporter