Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Vance Says He Does Not Want Military Operations to Resume, Hints at Progress in U.S.-Iran Talks

Input
2026-05-20 04:51:07
Updated
2026-05-20 04:51:07
The Financial News New York=Lee Byung-chul correspondent】  U.S. Vice President JD Vance said the United States and Iran have made significant progress in nuclear talks. He also stressed that neither side wants military conflict to resume. While President of the United States Donald Trump continues to pressure Iran by raising the possibility of another strike, he is also leaving open the chance of a deal. In particular, the United States reaffirmed that the key goal of the talks is to permanently block Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.
At a White House briefing on the 19th, Vance said, "We think we've made significant progress," adding, "I think Iran also wants an agreement." He emphasized, "Neither side wants to see military operations start again."
Vance also revealed that he had spoken directly with President Donald Trump earlier in the day. He said, "President Trump stressed that the core issue for the United States is that Iran must never have nuclear weapons."
Vance warned that allowing Iran to go nuclear could trigger a nuclear domino effect across the Middle East. He said, "If Iran gets nuclear weapons, Gulf countries will want their own, and eventually other countries around the world will pursue them as well."
He added, "We want to keep the number of nuclear-armed states as low as possible. That is exactly why Iran must not have nuclear weapons."
The United States is focusing in these talks not on a simple ceasefire or sanctions relief, but on blocking Iran's nuclear development capabilities for the long term.
Vance explained, "The United States wants to work with Iran on procedures that will ensure it cannot rebuild its nuclear weapons development capabilities for years to come. That is the goal we are trying to achieve in these negotiations."
Vance drew a line on the idea of Russia taking over Iran's enriched uranium. He said, "That is not the current plan of the U.S. government," and added, "The Iranian side has not raised that issue either."
\r\n
JD Vance, Vice President of the United States, speaks as the White House's regular briefing speaker on the 19th (local time). Photo=Newsis
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
pride@fnnews.com Lee Byung-chul Reporter