Trump Appears to Have Discussed Renewed Strikes on Iran with Israel's Netanyahu
- Input
- 2026-05-18 07:35:11
- Updated
- 2026-05-18 07:35:11

[Financial News] Questions have been raised that U.S. President Donald Trump, who has made no progress in ceasefire talks with Iran since last month's truce, discussed resuming attacks in earnest with Israel.
The Times of Israel (ToI) reported on the 17th, citing the Prime Minister's Office of Israel, that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke by phone with Trump that day. On the same day, Israel's state-run broadcaster Kan TV claimed that the two leaders discussed the possibility of resuming attacks on Iran. An Israeli government official said that if the United States resumes the war with Iran, it appears likely to carry out joint strikes with Israel.
Xinhua News Agency also cited an Israeli government official as saying that Netanyahu convened a cabinet meeting on the 17th, where the situation on the multiple fronts Israel is currently confronting was discussed.
The New York Times (NYT) reported on the 15th that the U.S. Department of Defense was preparing for the possibility that the Iran strike operation, Operation Epic Fury, which had been halted by the ceasefire, could soon resume under a new name. Two Middle East officials claimed that the United States and Israel had begun their largest preparations since the ceasefire, in anticipation of a possible resumption of strikes on Iran as early as next week. Earlier, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said at a press conference on the 5th that "Operation Epic Fury, which began on Feb. 28, has ended."
On the 17th, Trump wrote on Truth Social, "Iran does not have much time left," adding, "It would be better to move quickly, or there will be nothing left for them." He also posted an AI-generated video related to Iran on Truth Social that day. In the five-second video Trump posted, a warship flying the U.S. flag fires what appears to be a laser weapon at military aircraft approaching with the Iranian flag. A small inset screen appears in the lower right corner of the video. In that inset, Trump says, "Okay. It's coming our way. Fire. Boom." Later that day, Trump posted another version of the same video with the inset enlarged, as well as another video made in a similar style.

pjw@fnnews.com Reporter Park Jong-won Reporter