Monday, May 18, 2026

Drone Attacks Hit Saudi Arabia and the UAE; Fire Breaks Out at Korea-Built Barakah Nuclear Plant

Input
2026-05-18 06:37:18
Updated
2026-05-18 06:37:18
A view of Units 1 through 4 of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates. News1
\r\n
[Financial News] Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), which had been hit by Iranian missile and drone attacks since the outbreak of the Iran war in February, were attacked by drones again on the 17th local time. In the UAE, a drone struck a nuclear power plant built by the Republic of Korea.
According to The Times of Israel (ToI), Saudi Arabia's defense ministry said in a statement that it intercepted three drones that entered its airspace. The drones were reportedly launched from Iraqi airspace into Saudi Arabia, but it has not been confirmed whether Iran fired them directly or whether pro-Iran forces in Iraq were responsible. The ministry stressed that it would take the necessary operational measures against any attempt to violate Saudi Arabia's sovereignty and security.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Saudi Arabia) also issued a statement that day, referring to the strike on the UAE nuclear plant. It described the attack as a "threat to regional security and stability" and expressed solidarity with the UAE. It also said it "supports all measures to protect the UAE's sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity."
On the 17th, the Abu Dhabi Government Media Office said, "A fire caused by a drone attack broke out at a generator outside the outer perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra region, and emergency response measures were taken." The plant's inner perimeter is the area where key facilities such as the reactor containment building, spent fuel storage pool, and main control room are located. The office added that no casualties had been reported so far and that radiation safety levels had not been affected.
The Ministry of Defense of the United Arab Emirates said, "Two drones were successfully dealt with, but the remaining one hit a generator near the nuclear plant," adding that "the drones entered from the western border direction." The ministry said it would announce more details after completing an investigation into the launch point and other factors, but did not mention Iran. Iran did not confirm or deny the attack on the plant that day.
The Barakah Nuclear Power Plant is the Middle East's first commercial nuclear plant built in Abu Dhabi by exporting the APR-1400, a next-generation reactor model developed with KEPCO's own technology. After winning the contract in 2009, all four units, with a total capacity of 5,600 megawatts, began full commercial operation in April 2024 and now generate about 25% of the UAE's total electricity demand.
According to the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and KEPCO, no injuries to Korean employees working at the plant have been confirmed. Employees from KEPCO, KHNP, and domestic partner companies are currently staying on site.
pjw@fnnews.com Reporter Park Jong-won Reporter