Trump refocuses on ending the Iran War: "If he delays, there will be nothing left"
- Input
- 2026-05-18 05:23:46
- Updated
- 2026-05-18 05:23:46

[Financial News] U.S. President Donald Trump, who recently completed a China visit for the first time in about nine years, has turned back to the Iran War and is again demanding that Iran put forward a ceasefire proposal.
On the 17th, Trump posted on Truth Social that "Iran has very little time left." He warned Iran that it would be better to "move quickly," or else "there will be nothing left for them." He added, "Time is the key!"
In a phone interview with Axios on the same day, Trump also stressed that "there is very little time left." He warned that if Iran does not come back with better terms, it will be "hit much harder."
According to an interview released by Channel 12 (Israel) on the 17th, Trump said, "I believe Iran still wants a deal, and I expect them to submit revisions in the coming days." He stressed, "We are not at the position we want right now." Trump then added, "If they do not get there, they will face a powerful strike," and said the United States would attack "more strongly than anything it has done to them so far."
On the same day, The Times of Israel cited the Israeli Prime Minister's Office as saying that Trump spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for about 30 minutes. The contents of the call were not disclosed, but it is believed they discussed ceasefire negotiations and the possibility of resuming airstrikes.
In a report on the 17th, Axios cited two officials as saying Trump is expected to convene his security team in the White House Situation Room on the 19th to discuss military options against Iran. The outlet also claimed Trump had already met on the 16th at his golf course near Washington, D.C., with Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, and Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff to discuss response measures toward Iran.
The Iran War has entered its 12th week since the United States launched military operations against Iran on February 28. Under pressure from rising oil prices, Trump is urgently seeking an exit centered on Iran's denuclearization and the opening of the Strait of Hormuz, but he has yet to find a compromise with Iran.
According to Fars News Agency, the United States has presented Iran with five conditions for resuming ceasefire talks: rejecting compensation for war damages, handing over 400 kilograms of highly enriched uranium to the United States, keeping one nuclear facility in operation, rejecting the release of 25% of Iran's frozen overseas assets, and linking all battlefield hostilities to negotiations. Iran, meanwhile, is said to be demanding the end of hostilities on all fronts, the lifting of sanctions, the return of frozen assets, compensation for war damage, and recognition of Iran's sovereign rights in the Strait of Hormuz.

pjw@fnnews.com Park Jong-won Reporter